Years ago when I returned from living in Holland back to my little village of Stradbally I needed some people interaction as I’d gone from living in the beautiful city of The Hague with a big social life in an international expat community. Returning back to Stradbally was a big readjustment and was the complete opposite to life in The Hague. Life was slow, easy going and much quieter. So I joined the local sewing and knitting club with a lovely bunch of very creative ladies. At Christmas they had a little party and one of the women produced this amazing mackerel pate and thats where the recipe came from. It’s just so versatile – I used it as a breakfast staple, salad dish or it also makes a great starter. But most importantly it’s super easy.
3 cooked mackerel fillets (I usually get the peppered ones)
1/2 Tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
Juice of 1.5 fresh lemons
1/2 Tbsp Butter
Fresh ground black pepper & sea salt to season
Few sprigs of fresh dill
- Peel and discard the skin off the mackerel
- Finely chop the mackerel and pop it in a bowl
- Spoon in the butter which for me has to be Kerrygold (room temperature) and mix with a fork
- Spoon in the cream cheese and mix with a fork
- Pour in and mix the juice of the lemons
- Season with some fresh ground black pepper and salt
- You can pop this in the fridge for a few hours
- When ready to serve garnish with some fresh dill
This is perfect served on crackers, bread or perfect for a salad.